Nine Filipino families were successfully evacuated from a town near the epicenter of the powerful 6.6 magnitude quake that shook Italy on Sunday, according to the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA).
DFA assistant secretary Charles Jose told INQUIRER.net that the Philippine Embassy in Rome evacuated 31 individuals from Norcia on Monday morning upon request.
Drone footage reveals the extent of the damage caused by the strongest earthquake to hit Italy in 36 years https://t.co/bZ2EXzWZ7t
— Sky News (@SkyNews) 31 de outubro de 2016
“They are currently sheltered at the Casa Per Ferie Rogate in Rome. The Embassy arranged full board and lodging,” Jose said in a text message.
The DFA earlier confirmed that no Filipinos were hurt in the quake that ruined historical and religious structures and left about 3,000 temporarily homeless.
It was the strongest quake to hit Italy in nearly 36 years, and third to hit the country in two months, following jolts last week and a destructive one in August that killed about 300 people.
Source: Inquirer Image: Twitter (Sky News)