The Philippine government on Friday extended its sympathies to France after the truck attack that killed at least 80 people during a National Day celebration in the southern city of Nice.
Foreign Affairs Secretary Perfecto Yasay started his statement during the 11th Asia-Europe Leaders Meeting (Asem) in Mongolia with an expression of solidarity with the French government and its people.
“I wish to convey the deepest sympathies and condolences of my government and of the Filipino people to the government and people of France for the recent tragedy in Nice,” Yasay said.
“We stand with you in this time of grief and tragedy,” he added.
At least 80 people were killed after a truck loaded with guns slammed into revelers watching a fireworks display for Bastille Day celebration in Nice.
French President Francois Hollande denounced the act, which he said had an “undeniable terrorist nature.” He also extended the state of emergency in the country, which was due to be lifted on July 26, for another three months.
If confirmed to be a terrorist attack, it will be the third major attack on French soil in 18 months.
In a text message, Department of Foreign Affairs spokesperson Charles Jose told INQUIRER.net that they “have not received report of any Filipino among those injured” so far.
Source and image: Inquirer