A Japanese man in his 20s has died of caffeine poisoning after routinely drinking the caffeinated beverages known as energy drinks, the forensic medicine office of Fukuoka University found Monday.
The office decided the cause of the death was heavy intake of caffeine. The man in the Kyushu region, southwestern Japan, drank such beverages frequently to fight sleepiness.
According to Kubo Shinichi, professor at the office, the case is believed to be the first in Japan in which death has been caused by caffeine intoxication, other than suicides.
The man engaged in nighttime work at his workplace, which operates 24 hours a day.
He had been sick for some one year, with symptoms of dizziness and vomiting, while he kept the habit of consuming caffeinated energy drinks and tablets to stay awake.
Source: Jiji Image: NHK News
Join the Conversation