Eleven people were rushed to hospitals here after choking on mochi rice cakes on Sunday, two of the victims choking to death, authorities said.
The Tokyo Fire Department said a total of 11 people, aged between 28 and 89, were rushed to hospitals after choking on mochi by 9 p.m., Nippon News Network reports (Jan. 2).
Of the 11 victims, an 81-year-old man from Itabashi Ward and a 60-year-old man from Kita Ward choked to death from mochi they ate at home, authorities said.
Every year the fire department urges citizens to cut mochi into smaller bite-size pieces and chew thoroughly before swallowing.
Source: Tokyo Reporter Image: NHK
Join the Conversation